Districts of Belize
Ambergris Caye- North
Tres Cocos- Is located 1.5 miles north of San Pedro Town, Oceanside and roadside.Tres Cocos is lovely neighbourhood quiet and peaceful, closet resort is Marbuck’s and PUR
Buena Vista- Is located 2.5 miles north of San Pedro Town
Journeys End- Is located 3.88 miles north of San Pedro town, the closest resorts are Journey’s End Resort, Las Terrazas, Seascape, Belizean Shores.
Flying Fisherman- Is located approximately 4 miles north of San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye, Belize
Mata Grande- Is located 4.5 miles north of San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize
Mata Chica- Is located 5.21 miles north of San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye, Belize, closet beach resort is Mata Chica Resort and restaurant Rojo Lounge.
Playa Blanca- Is located 5.5 north of San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, Belize
Santa Evelia- Is located 5 miles north of San Pedro Town and just south of La Perla del Caribe
Mexico Rocks- Is located 7 miles north of San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye, Belize
San Andres- Is located 8 miles north of San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye, Belize
Palmeros Point- Is located 9.5 miles north of San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye, Belize
Habaneros- Is located 10 miles north of San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye Belize
Punta Azul- Is located 12 miles north of San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye, Belize, the closets resort are La Beliza Resort, El Secreto, X’Tan ha and Costa Blu.
Basil Jones- Is located 13 miles north of San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye, Belize, the closet resort is Tranquility Bay
Nella Reid- Is located 12 miles north of San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye, Belize
Robles- Is located 14 miles north of San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye, Belize
Rocky Point- Is located 16 miles north of San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye, Belize
Franco Cocal- Is located 16.5 miles north of San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye, Belize
Palm Bay Club- Is located 18 miles north of San Pedro Town, Ambergris Caye, Belize
Bacalar Chico- Both the Bacalar Chico National Park and Marine Reserve were granted legal recognition in 1996. The national park encompasses 12,640 acres of land and includes the Laguna de Cantena, which is one of the largest lagoons in Northern Ambergris Caye.
San Pedro Town
San Mateo- Is one of the suburbs of San Pedro. It’s tucked in just north of town on the northern bank of the Boca Del Rio, but despite being fairly large – almost 200 houses –are occupied by the local Belizeans for generations, very local.
San Juan- Is a community located directly north of the center of San Pedro Town. The area is home to majority of the work force on San Pedro and has its own unique mixture of people from all over Belize, Central America, North America and even Europe. The Zaak Ba Ajo Lagoon is a great spot to snorkel, boasting unique aquatic life and the lagoon’s own little blue hole”.
Escalante- Is located in the Escalante Subdivision, about 1.5 miles south of San Pedro Town, this is a community of locals and diversified people. There are numerous restaurants Hidden Treasure, Robin’s Kitchen and several local cocinas.
Boca Ciega- Is a subdivision located on the South end of Ambergris Caye, Belize
Boca del Rio– North of the island located directly after San Juan and just before the river. A bridge wide enough to accommodate people, bicycles and golf carts links Boca Del Rio Area to other areas in the far north of the island.
San Pablo- Is a small community located just over a mile and a half southwest of the center of San Pedro Town and facing the lagoon. Visitors often take bicycle or golf cart rides up Avenida Del Sol which stretches to the Lagoons edge – in San Pablo to watch to sparkling sunsets over the glossy surface of the lagoon. Swimming and snorkelling can be enjoyed along San Pablo
Belize City- Founded: 1638, largest city in Belize, Belize City is the largest city in Belize and was once the capital of the former British Honduras.
Burrell Boom- Founded in the 18th century, the village takes its name from the iron chains (‘booms’) that loggers extended across the river to trap the mahogany logs that were sent from further upriver.
Double Head Cabbage- In the region of Belize is a city in Belize – some 24 mi (or 39 km) North-East of Belmopan, the country’s capital
Gales Point- Gales Point is a village in the Belize District in the nation of Belize, Central America. The village is on a peninsula in the Southern Lagoon. In 2000 Gales Point had a population of about 500 people, most of whom subsist on fishing and farming. Gales Point Manatee is the local name for the village. The village is located in the Southern Lagoon, which is a Manatee reserve. The Southern Lagoon’s water is brackish. This lagoon connects directly to the Caribbean Sea through the Manatee Bar River.
Gracie Rock- Is a populated settlement located in the nation of Belize historical resting place for the Logwood trade rafting down river.
Ladyville- Is located on the north end of the Belize River and is next to the Caribbean Sea. The terrain is part of the Belize’s lowland and part of a natural flood plain. The land consists of broadleaf lowland forests and marshlands with creeks, ponds and mangrove forest along the coast.
Maskall- Is located 38 miles North West of Belize City and 27 miles south east of Orange Walk Town on the Old Northern Highway.
Rancho Dolores- In the Belize District with almost 2 miles of frontage on the pristine and scenic Spanish Creek River.
Sand Hill- The Colha Project began in 1979 and is a long-running archaeological excavation in and around Colha, including Ladyville, Lowe Ranch and Sand Hill.
Belmopan- Is the capital city of Belize. Although the smallest capital city in the continental Americas by population, Belmopan is the third-largest settlement in Belize, behind Belize City and San Ignacio. Founded as a planned community in 1970, Belmopan is one of the newest national capital cities in the world. Since 2000 Belmopan has been one of two settlements in Belize to hold official city status, along with Belize City. Belmopan is located in the Cayo District.
Benque Viejo del Carmen- Is the westernmost town in Belize, 130 km by road west and south of Belize City, at the Guatemalan border. San Ignacio lies 13 km to the east and Melchor de Mencos just across the border.
Bullet Tree Falls- Is a village located along the Mopan River in Cayo District, Belize. It lies approximately five kilometers (three miles) northwest of San Ignacio The population consists mainly of Spanish-speaking mestizos, Yucatec Maya and some Creoles.
Camalote- Is a village located along the George Price Highway in Cayo District, Belize. It lies approximately five kilometers west of Belmopan. According to the 2010 census, Camalote has a population of 2,562 people in 560 households.
Esperanza- Is a village located along the George Price Highway in Cayo District, Belize. It lies approximately four kilometers northeast of San Ignacio. According to the 2010 census, Esperanza has a population of 1,262 people in 286 households.
Roaring Creek- Is a small village in the Cayo District of Belize, just north-west of Belmopan. Its name is derived from the creek waterfalls which flow into the Belize River next to the Guanacaste Park area. Roaring Creek has a population of less than 2000 people, which includes Central American immigrants, Kriols and Mopan Maya. Creole is the main language used in the village.
San Ignacio- San Ignacio and Santa Elena are towns in western Belize. San Ignacio serves as the cultural-economic hub of Cayo District. It got its start from mahogany and chicle production during British colonialism. Over time it attracted people from the surrounding areas, which led to the diverse population of the town today. San Ignacio is the largest settlement in Cayo District and the second largest in the country, after Belize City.
San Jose- Is a village in the Orange Walk District of Belize.In the 2000 census, San José had a population of 2,254 people. The village is the fourth largest in the Orange Walk district and is estimated to have almost 3,000 residents as of 2016 mainly of Yucatec Maya-Mestizo ancestry.
San Martin- In 1968 Jesuit Fr. Bill Messmer, pastor of St. Ignatius Church in South Belize City, opened a school to accommodate students in the west part of his parish. Jesuit Fr. Thomas Thro began celebrating Mass in homes in the area and in 1971 construction began on a building to accommodate a church on the ground floor and rectory above, the beginning of St. Martin de Porres parish. St. Martin was chosen as the church’s patron because of his lifelong care for the poor.
Spanish Lookout- Is a settlement in the Cayo District of Belize in Central America. According to the 2010 census, Spanish Lookout has a population of 2,253 people in 482 households. Spanish Lookout is a community of Mennonites in Belize.
The Mennonite community in Spanish Lookout is quite modern: they use cars and other modern conveniences and the overall impression of the settlement is rather like rural North America than Central America or the Caribbean. The citizens of this community speak Plautdietsch as their mothertongue. Most also speak English and Spanish. It is largely an agricultural community with some light industry, furniture making, prefabricated wood houses and the only oil field in production in Belize.
Teakettle- Is in the region of Cayo is a place in Belize – some 6 mi (or 10 km) South-West of Belmopan, the country’s capital city.
Valley of Peace- Is a village in the Cayo District of Belize that was founded in March 12, 1982. In 2000 Valley of Peace had a population of 1,809 people. The population in 2007 grew to 2,108. Valley of Peace was created as a refugee community for immigrants fleeing from the Salvadoran Civil War.
Chan Chen- Is a village located in Corozal District, Belize. Most of the inhabitants speak Spanish or Yucatec Maya, along with some English. The name Chan Chen is Yucatec maya meaning “small well” in English.
Consejo- Is a village in the north of Corozal District, Belize. Consejo is located on a point of land where the bays of Corozal and Chetumal meet.
Corozal Town- Is a town in Belize, capital of Corozal District. Corozal Town is located about 84 miles north of Belize City, and 9 miles from the border with Mexico.
Little Belize- Is a colony of conservative German-speaking “Russian” Mennonites, known as “Old Colony Mennonites”, in the Corozal District of the nation of Belize. Little Belize is located west of Progresso at an elevation of 1 meter above sea level.
Progresso- Is a village in the Corozal District of the nation of Belize, with a population of 1,357 according to the 2010 Population and Housing Census. Like many inland waterways in Belize, Progresso Lagoon served as a busy highway for merchants during the height of Mayan dominance in the region
San Narcisco- Is in Corozal District is a town located in Belize about 75 mi (or 120 km) north of Belmopan, the country’s capital place.
San Joaquin- Is a village in the Corozal District of Belize. With a population of about 2000 people, it is one of the largest villages in Corozal. The town was formed as a result of Mestizos migrating to escape the 1847–1901 Caste War of Yucatán
Santa Elena- San Ignacio is a town in the Cayo District of western Belize, on the banks of the Macal River. It’s linked to the town of Santa Elena by the metal suspension Hawksworth Bridge. On a hill south of town are the Mayan ruins of Cahal Pech, abandoned in the 9th century. There is a small museum amid the plazas and temples. Nearby, the Rainforest Medicine Trail explores the medicinal properties of indigenous plants.
Sarteneja- First known as “Tza-ten-a-ha”, is the largest fishing community in Belize. This community is the largest in the Corozal District and also the second largest village in Belize. Sarteneja is located in the north eastern tip of Corozal District in northern Belize approximately 40 miles north of Orange Walk Town.
Orange Walk District
Blue Creek- Is a river that runs along the Belize–Mexico border. It is a tributary of the Hondo River. It is known as the Río Azul in Mexico. Blue Creek, also Blue Creek Colony, is a Mennonite settlement that is also an administrative village in Orange Walk District in Belize. It borders Blue Creek river, which forms the border to Mexico. Its inhabitants are German-speaking so-called “Russian” Mennonites.
Chan Pine Ridge- Is a village in the Orange Walk District of the nation of Belize. It is a predominantly Maya Mestizo village with Spanish being the preferred language of communication. English is taught at the Chan Pine Ridge Government School which is the only Primary School serving the community.Kriol is also spoken among the villagers. The Name Chan Pine Ridge is a combination of the Yucatec Maya word Chan meaning “small” in English and Pine Ridge which is English.
Guinea Grass- Is a village in the Orange Walk District of the nation of Belize. It is 38 metres (127 feet) above sea level. The village has a community of Mennonites, Mestizo, Creoles, and East Indians (Hindu and Arabs). There are a number of Taiwanese and other Central American immigrants living near or immediately in the settlement.
Orange Walk Town- Is the fourth largest town in the nation of Belize, with a population of about 13,400 (Official Release of the Main Findings of the 2010 Population and Housing Census). It is the capital of the Orange Walk District. Orange Walk Town is located on the left bank of the New River, 53 miles (85 km) north of Belize City and 30 miles (48 km) south of Corozal Town.
San Antonio- Is the second largest town in Toledo. This quiet village is made up of about 1000 Mopan Maya villagers. … San Antonio, the most developed village in Southern Belize, has electricity, a community telephone, and a central water system.
San Carlos- Is located in the North of Belize, in Orange Walk District, on the northern bank of New River and surrounded by jungle. It is four miles from Indian Church, and can be accessed by road from Orange Walk Town or by boat from the New River. San Carlos is small, with a population of 154 (2013) of Mestizo ethnicity. The village was set up by a group of families around 1970 from the larger town of Guinea Grass Town. Other inhabitants are originally from Guatemala, immigrating to Belize during the tumultuous years of the Civil War.
San Felipe- Is a village in Orange Walk District, Belize. According to the 2010 census, San Felipe has a population of 1,499 people in 332 households. The village is home to the Premier League of Belize football team San Felipe Barcelona who play at San Felipe Football Field.
San Jose- Is a Mopan Maya settlement of about 700 people, lying adjacent to the Columbia River Forest Reserve at the end of a rolling, meandering road. The village was born when families from San Antonio and alkilos (Maya living in the forest alone) in the surrounding area came together to start a community. In 1954, the village was named San Jose after the feast of Saint Joseph. Every year on March 19th, a three day feast of eating and dancing to marimba and harp music is celebrated in honor of their patron saint.
Santa Cruz- Is a village in Stann Creek District, Belize. It is located 24 miles northwest of the Placencia peninsulaThe village was formed as a result of the combined efforts of the people who lived in what was called “Old Santa Cruz“, Banana farm workers and Fisherman of the area. “Old Santa Cruz” was made up of a few houses situated about 2 miles north of the Placencia junction on the Southern Highway, it was demolished for the extension of a banana plantation in the year 2005 by a local developer…
Shipyard- Also called Shipyard Colony, is a Mennonite settlement that is also an administrative village in the Orange Walk District of Belize. Shipyard was founded in 1958 by Old Colony Mennonites from Chihuahua and Durango states in Mexico. It consists of more than 20 camps (German: “Dörfer”), which have German names like “Blumenort” or “Hochfeld”, but outside the Mennonite community they are referred to only by numbers, e. g. “Camp 5” instead of “Reinfeld”.
Stann Creek District
Alta Vista- The Belize Citrus industry goes back to the year 1913 with the establishment of the first citrus plantation and then later on in 1948 expanding with the first processing plant in Pomona Village, Stann Creek (Citrus Company of Belize Ltd.) and a second plant in Alta Vista Village, Stann Creek in 1963 (Belize Food Products Ltd.).
Big Creek- Big Creek is a deep-water port on the Caribbean Sea in Belize’s Toledo District (just south of the boundary with Stann Creek District), constructed in the 1990s. It is the nation’s second most important port, after Belize City.
Cow Pen- The immigrants settled initially in the Cowpen area of the Toledo District, then migrated to different areas, primarily southern Belize, investing large amounts of capital in sugar estates. During the 18th century and early 19th century, numerous small sugar mills were established throughout southern Belize.
Dangriga- Is often dubbed as “the culture capital of Belize.” With a population of some 9,000, it is the capital of the Stann Creek District and it is definitely the place to be on the night of November 18th. That is when all-night festivities celebrate the arrival of the Garifuna People to Belize on November 19th 1823. The Garifuna people of Belize (pronounced Gah-RIF-oo-na) who settled in the Stann Creek area have an intriguing history.
Georgetown- George Town, Belize, is a village in Stann Creek District, Belize
Hopkins- Is a Garifuna village on the coast of the Stann Creek District in Belize. Hopkins is considered by some Belizeans to be the cultural center of the Garifuna population in Belize. … The village was created in 1942 to replace the village of Newtown which was deeply affected by the hurricane.
Independence- The town of Independence is a tourist hotspot (the cruise ships have come) it’s well known in the country for other reasons. It’s the home of Big Creek, the deep water port that is the hub of the oil and fruit industries and also the home of the Banana Growers Association at the Big Creek port.
Maya Mopan- The Mopan Maya of the western area of Belize are a mixed Peten and Yucatecan stock, mostly occupying the village of San Jose Succotz in the Cayo District. Immigrating from San Pedro Corcha in Guatemala,and the Kekchi Maya.
Middlesex Valley- Fifteen land marks and attractions of the North Stann Creek Valley are shared with Belize and the World. Some like the Pomona Cave System, the Tidewater Steam Engines at Middlesex and the Pump at Lynam are being shared for the first time.
Mullins River- Is the name of both a river and of a village on that river in the Stann Creek District of Belize. The village of Mullins River is located at the mouth of the river of the same name on the coast of the Caribbean Sea, north of Dangriga.
Placencia- One of the most popular destinations in Belize, Placencia is a charming, low-key fishing village located at the southern tip of the Placencia Peninsula in south eastern Belize.
Red Bank- It is estimated that fewer than 250 scarlet macaws still exist in Belize, and most of them can be found in Red Bank Village in Southern Belize.
Riversdale- Is north of Placencia Village in the Stann Creek district.
Sarawee- In rural Stann Creek District carrying out flood mitigation works.
San Juan- Is in the region of Orange Walk is a town in Belize – some 65 mi (or 105 km) North of Belmopan, the country’s capital city.
San Roman- Is in the region of Orange Walk is a town in Belize – some 65 mi (or 105 km) North of Belmopan, the country’s capital city.
Santa Rosa- The Guatemalans built a village called Santa Rosa inside Belizean territory.
Silk Grass- Silk Grass is a small village located just minutes from the Garifuna fishing village of Hopkins, where you can visit to enjoy world-class restaurants, local fare restaurants, specialty restaurants, bars, take a tour out to the world’s second largest barrier reef, go fishing for barracuda, tarpon, snapper, see the manatees, whales, and all sorts of wildlife. Because of its location it’s also possible to easily access land based activities such as Cockscomb Basin, the largest jaguar preserve and according to the Belize Audubon Society “Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary (CBWS) is recognized internationally as the world’s first jaguar preserve.
Sittee River- Is a river in Belize. It is also the name of a village along the river. Located in central Belize, the mangroves located at the mouth of this river are the tallest ever reported for the Caribbean region and among the tallest anywhere in the entire Neotropics. The mouth of the Sittee River represents the optimal conditions for mangrove development and the forest found there has a high level of structural development. Freshwater flows and sediments carried by the river itself, draining from the Maya Mountains, and tidal flushing from the Caribbean Sea all support this tree growth. The forest at the mouth of the river is composed of three mangrove species: red mangrove (Rhizophora mangle), white mangrove (Laguncularia racemosa), and black mangrove (Avicennia germinans).
Steadfast- Is a convenient place for living due to its location on the Hummingbird Highway and its close proximity to the coastal town of Dangriga. Stead Fast village is 16 miles away from Dangriga.
Bella Vista- Is the largest village in the Toledo District of Belize. It is located ten miles south-west of Independence and Mango Creek and fifty miles north of Punta Gorda the district’s capital. Its neighbouring village is San Isidro which is considerably smaller.
Bladen- Bladen River Nature Reserve, covering 97000-acres of wilderness, is probably Belize’s most pristine protected rainforest. The reserve gets its name from the Bladen Branch of the Monkey River, which runs north easterly through the area
Mango Walk- Just south of the Cristo Rey village is Mango Walk known for its rustic feel and bountiful nature.
Monkey River Town- Born with the banana industry, Monkey River was promoted to a town in 1891. At that time, the population was about 2500 people, and the main source of income was the banana industry, logging, and export of rice. The demise of the banana industry forced the majority of the people inland in search of other jobs. The town was downsized to a village in 1981. In recent years, the village has come alive again. Each family has a boat, and most villagers make a living from fishing, lobster, hunting, or the tourist trade.
Punta Gorda- Known locally as P.G., is the capital and largest town of Toledo District in southern Belize. Punta Gorda is the southernmost sizable town in the nation. Although the town bears a Spanish name, its inhabitants are mostly Kriol/English speaking, and are primarily of Garifuna, East Indian, Kriol, and Maya descent. Punta Gorda is a seaport and fishing town on the Caribbean Sea. It was a small fishing village before it was settled by a number of Garifuna emigrants from Honduras in 1823. The Garifuna refer to the town as Peini. The town is about fifteen feet above sea level.
San Antonio- Is the second largest town in Toledo. This quiet village is made up of about 1000 Mopan Maya villagers. San Antonio, the most developed village in Southern Belize, has electricity, a community telephone, and a central water system. Nestled in a valley, about a 20-minute drive from the twin towns of San Ignacio and Santa Elena, the village of San Antonio, Cayo lies along the way to the Mountain Pine Ridge Reserve. Populated by primarily Yucatec Mayas, the village is known for its artists and healers.
Santa Elena- Seventy-two miles from Belize city are the twin towns of Santa Elena and San Ignacio, separated by the Macal River and crossed via the country’s ‘s only suspension bridge, the Hawksworth Bridge.
San Pablo- Is a village in the Orange Walk District of the nation of Belize. At the 2000 census the population was 926. The people of the village are mainly of Yucatec Maya Descent.
San Pedro Columbia- Is a village in Toledo District, Belize, located about two miles from the ancient Maya ruins of Lubaantun. In 2000 San Pedro Columbia had a population of about 700 people. The population is mostly Kekchi Maya with some Mopan Maya. San Pedro Columbia has Belize’s largest settlement of Kekchi. Over the years, a number of Mopan Mayas have intermarried and now live there. The village is well known for its hand woven embroidery.
Swasey- The information regarding Swasey in Belize on this page is published from the data supplied by the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, a member of the Intelligence community of the United States of America, and a Department of Defense (DoD) Combat Support Agency. No claims are made regarding the accuracy of Swasey information contained here. All suggestions for corrections of any errors about Swasey should be addressed to the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency.